Unwrapping Christmas

As the holidays arrive I thought I would share some Advent-inspired art I've been creating, and reflect on the inspirations behind each piece.

I decided to follow the prompts for the social media photo challenge #unwrapchristmas, but instead of photos, I've been creating an original piece of art each day. I wanted to work small, somewhat in the style of another creative challenge I do occasionally, "One index card a day," (#ICAD). Limiting myself to a small scale ensured that I actually complete a piece each day, without investing too much time and energy into a full illustration. And so, I don't consider all of these finished works of art. Many are sketches or studies. Others, however, stand well on their own.

I also decided not to include what we might think of as traditional cultural Christmas imagery, not wanting to limit these pieces to the stories of North American or Western culture only. Things that I may enjoy, like lights, evergreen trees, and winter imagery are one aspect of Christmas, but certainly not the only one. Half of the world celebrates Christmas and New Year in the summer. Therefore some art is reminiscent of my heritage in the North, while other pieces represent my life in South. I also wanted to open up the mysteries of Christmas and some of the themes that Christians celebrate around the birth of Jesus, and express them in ways that people of any--or no--spiritual background could identify with in some way.

December 3rd: OPEN




I put masking tape on top of the little child on this card, and painted over it with markers to make the background. In addition to the open box, I wanted to create an open space, thinking about openness in the heart, being open-minded, creating a welcoming space, etc. When I removed the tape, it was kind of like opening a gift itself, or like opening a door to a surprise.

December 4th: PRESENCE


I think we all can relate to a feeling of transcendence and getting a glimpse of something divine when out in nature. The sun shining through trees, as well as the mysteries of several bodies of water, have always caught my eye and stirred my spiritual side. So, when thinking about divine presence on earth, I made a quick collage of two landscapes, merging them both together.

December 5th: KINDLES


Having lived in the North, especially Boston, I am well-familiar with dark winters. The idea of winter darkness, as well as spiritual darkness was on my mind as I made this. Sometimes it takes just a flicker, a small spark to kindle hope and renewal.

December 6th: KNOWN


I was sorting through some fun papers I've saved over the years to make collages from, and came across an old birthday card given to me by my grandparents, who have since passed away. I was taken by the handwriting on it, written to me, and I decided to re-work it into a collage.

December 7th: AWESOME


Mountains always make an awe-inspiring landscape. I often lift my eyes up in wonder at the ones that surround the Paraíba Valley where I live. In this collage, I layered a watercolor sketch of these mountains on top of a nature-themed gelatin print. Many of the nature-inspired collages I made in this series are from old sketches that now have a name and a purpose.

December 8th: PERCEIVED


This sketch seems to simultaneously resemble Mary, Joseph, and Jesus, and yet also, perhaps a Muslim family. I was thinking about current American perceptions of Muslims, refugees, and immigrants, and how Jesus and his parents might have also been unwelcome in the eyes of the people of their day. A long journey, no room at the inn, and then fleeing a government-mandated infanticide would certainly qualify them as migrants and refugees. Maybe we all need to talk less, listen more, and learn about the stories of people outside our normal community.

December 9th: REMEMBER


I was putting away a little tree that I had put in the school library during the month of November. In the spirit of American Thanksgiving, it was an invitation for students to write something they are grateful for on a leaf, and then hang it on the tree. As I put it away for the season, I decided to take a look at some of the leaves from international Thanksgiving potlucks held in previous years back at my old apartment in Quincy, Massachusetts. I selected a few leaves I had written on in 2011, 2012, and 2013 (the last of these parties, the year before I moved to Brazil), as well as one I had written on this year. I took an old watercolor sketch of a late fall/early winter forest that I had done many years ago, just before a time of lots of change. It was refreshing and encouraging to re-orient my present perspective by remembering points of gratitude and joy from my past.

December 10th: TENDERLY


As the idea for this sketch came to me, I decided to show a father's tender display of love, hoping to challenge a few cultural stereotypes of masculinity. I thought of the Incarnation, and the belief that God took human form to dwell among and restore humanity, and of how nearness and human touch shows love and brings healing.

After finishing this sketch, I started to wonder if, in challenging one stereotype I am inadvertently reinforcing another. Although I love the idea of a black dad displaying tenderness, I started questioning my reasoning in the style of clothes I chose. The "wife beater" shirt (hate that name) and the big gold chain might have come from my own ignorant preconceptions or over-generalizations of black American culture. I was also trying to show someone who likely faces poverty (notice the shoes) lavishing the riches of their love, but maybe this wasn't the drawing to do that with. If I ever work this idea up into a more finished drawing, which I well might do, I would definitely keep the heart of it, but make some tweaks. I welcome comments and suggestions by people of color, American and international.

December 11th: PREPARE


One of my favorite Christmas traditions from my family and culture is making and decorating cookies. When I was little, my mom taught me how to roll and cut homemade cookie dough, and mix buttercream frosting, and I made my own artistic messes decorating cookies from a young age. The tradition has carried to the next generation; my oldest American niece, having also been taught by my mom, made the cookies herself this year. I remember when she was very little, she was "helping" my mom, but insisted on wearing my dad's winter hat and her new pink backpack while she mixed the frosting. Like Dora the Explorer, it seems like she wanted to be prepared for anything, even while preparing holiday sweets.

December 12th: GLORY


In this collage, a bright blue sky and a radiant sun behind layers of translucent leaves proclaim glory like an old, but potent hymn.

December 13th: REVEALED



For this theme, I liked the look of an old collage I made, where the landscape seems to be opening up like a present. But I also figured I should make a new piece, and so I played with a ribbon and a gelatin print, enjoying the way the colors look together.

December 14th: VOICE


As this little one came to my mind, I was thinking of how everyone has something to say, something to offer, something worth celebrating.

December 15th: MIGHT


The inspiration for this watercolor sketch was the sudden summer thunderstorms that fill the valley with awe at their power. Over the past few weeks, they have been an almost daily manifestation of the might and wonder of the skies.

December 16th: CARRY


It's such a comfort to be in the arms of someone strong. We all need strong arms around us, from a young age, throughout adulthood.

December 17th: NEWS


Since I live far away from my family, sharing news by text and video call is not only normal, but also a cherished connection. I know many families can relate. Sometimes, like during Advent, and throughout history, we wait a long time for good news to come.

December 18th: RELEASE


I had the Dressember campaign, which fights human trafficking, on my mind for this one. I was also thinking about mental illness and the isolation that it brings. In this depiction, release from captivity doesn't come with joyful leaps, but slow, uncertain, steps. Perhaps the sudden burst of light and freedom, after having lived in dark, confined spaces, is overwhelming.

December 19th: COMFORT


Multiple people recognized this right away as my grandmother and her kitchen. Though the other figure is me, many others have sat in the same spot taking in the wise words of the same mighty woman. I included a New England winter sunset, which happens abruptly in the afternoon at this time of year. Somehow, those dreary dark winters make small pockets of light, like the ones in that kitchen, shine even brighter. One has to know sorrow to truly know comfort. And the comfort that we've received, we give to others.

December 20th: PROVIDE


While people in the north immediately identified with the last one, my Brazilian family quickly recognized this one as the jackfruit tree that grows outside my in-laws' house. Jackfruit is full of protein and other nutrients, and can substitute meat and even play a role in solving world hunger. Every year I pass in Brazil, I become more amazed at the provision of nature.

December 21st:  JOY


I hope the expression on this one's face says says all that needs to be said for this one.

December 22nd: ACKNOWLEDGE


I'm used to living in a busy city where people barely recognize your existence. One thing I like better about public transportation in São José is that people excuse themselves, saying "com licença," or "with permission," before taking a seat next to me. In a world where differences drive us apart, what if we simply took a moment to acknowledge our fellow humans? That doesn't mean we have to agree with them on every point, or embrace everything about them. It does mean looking someone in the eyes, recognizing the image of the Divine Being in them, and saying a word or two to acknowledge their worth.

December 23rd: EXULT


I hope this one speaks for itself, as well. We can a lot learn from children.

December 24th: SHINE


This playful collage brings together many shiny pieces, from gelatin prints, to card stock to nail polish. An idea in the back of my mind, not necessarily represented here, is the admonition of Jesus to let the light of our good actions shine before others.

This series has been an inspiring exercise for me as I reflect on the mysteries of Immanuel, "God with us," in different aspects, attempting to represent some in visual form in ways that anyone can recognize and identify with.

The last piece in this series will come on Christmas Day, but if you want to see it, you'll have to check Instagram @danitissima. This blog will be taking a brief break over New Year's and picking up again in January.

Whatever your beliefs, and whether or not you celebrate Christmas, I wish you joy and peace.

Comments