Some Reflections on the Women's March--a Poem

Artwork by Tyler Feder (https://www.etsy.com/shop/roaringsoftly)

I've never been one to get involved in political protests, or to loudly share my opinion on certain topics. However, the events and issues surrounding the U.S. 2016 presidential election started to change that. I was traveling on the day of the Women's March both this year and last, and so I didn't participate in person, but, instead, showed my support in small ways online. And as I started reading more and listening to the stories of marginalized people who find themselves cast aside by the current administration, I started thinking hard about my identity and role in the movement as a person of privilege. It's been my very privilege that has allowed me to not worry too much about politics in the past, all the while ignoring the struggles of minorities. As these thoughts started to churn through my mind, a year ago, I started writing down the words to this poem.

By Mobilus In Mobili - Women's March on Washington, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55796823

Reflections on the Women's March


I showed my solidarity
I did it voluntarily.
The movement’s popularity
and issues that seemed clear to me
drew me in with many others,
with our sisters, daughters, mothers
to a protest, all newcomers
so astounding in our numbers!
  
Yet I’ve been reading and reflecting
on things I hadn’t been suspecting
that folks around me are suggesting:
with our whiteness we’re suppressing
many voices with our choices,
our advantage, and exemption
to injustice in our favor,
which has slipped past our attention.

I’ve come to see with clarity
immeasurable disparity
bolstered by the systems
that brought middle class prosperity.
The ones to blame, my people,
escaped their crimes with full impunity.
Others suffered from their actions,
but it bought me white immunity. 

This doesn’t mean I do not suffer
disadvantage as a woman,
nor should it cut me from the movement,
seen as a demon on a cushion.
But it demands responsibility,
to share a greater load,
revamp advantage into action
helping others down this road.
  
And yet it’s only now I realize 
my life is truly cushy
when the thing that riles me up the most
is just this president and p🙀ssy!
‘Cause if I’m just a weekend ally,
 not a go-for-broke accomplice,
 I ignore the greater outcry,
 and there’s little I accomplish.

Do we dismiss as unimportant
or as angry, bitter chatter
when fellow humans, in a torrent,
just want to say that their lives matter?
Do we hijack other cultures,
hemming in their visibility,
while swooping in like pink-eared vultures,
ignoring those with disability? 

Can folks without a vulva
still be welcomed as a sister?
And can we find a place to fit
all forms of faith into the picture,
and manage inclusivity
in talk of sexuality,
give the poor a better portion
and just maybe, listen more to nuanced views on, yes, abortion?
  
May new knowledge of my privilege
guide the language in this message
and give folks like me the courage
to assess the real damage
of our ignorance and arrogance,
injurious indifference,
and every shameful tolerance
of every hurtful utterance
of words that seek to silence
or condone ongoing violence.

May we seek wise words and guidance,
consider fully our alliance,
and then stand as one together,
facing off each one’s oppressor,
with humility, much better,
bring justice, equal rights forever


By Carly Hagins (Boston Women's March) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

There is much work to be done. The March doesn't solve everything, and, as stated above, it raises up even more issues that need to be addressed. I don't agree with everything represented by the March, but as a woman who can say "#metoo," I can stand with others and point out things that need to change. If we listen to our neighbor, learn to see our privilege, and take action with responsibility and humility, I believe we can bring about necessary change.

Artwork by Tyler Feder (https://www.etsy.com/shop/roaringsoftly)

Comments