A Compelling Beat to March to


What better way to start class than to bring something that gives everyone goosebumps? (The good kind.) That's what this song did for a group that typically refuses to talk, a few groups that were slowly stumbling back into class after a long Carnival weekend, and a Saturday morning group, still groggy from waking up early.

English teachers often bring music into the classroom, and I'm no exception. Some of my colleagues even make Spotify playlists for their classes, which becomes a collaborative activity to connect the English they are learning to popular songs. I adore that idea, and if I ever get myself more organized on music apps, it's something I may adopt. In general, when I bring a song into class, I tend to choose one with a language focus we're working on or a theme we're discussing, and yet a song they likely haven't heard before. That may be something from my favorite band, Ryanhood, the hit Broadway musical Hamilton, or even Naïmah Muhammad, an emerging singer who happens to be the colleague of a friend.

This time around, it was music from The Greatest Showman, a movie that, while fairly popular in the United States, seemed to come and go quickly here. I'm glad that a friend got me to go see it with her during my brief visit to Massachusetts in January, because I might not have known about it otherwise. It's based on the story of P.T Barnum, and the circus he developed.

The song that's been so impactful in my classes, not surprisingly the most popular from this musical film, is "This Is Me." 

I've been using the official video from the movie, which requires a little bit of context to be fully appreciated. I start by putting a poster image of the movie on the board, asking if anyone has seen it. Usually there are a few who have heard of it, but few who have actually seen it. I ask for anyone who might be familiar with the story to share what they know, and I help everyone understand the basics leading up to this scene. 

P.T. Barnum grew up poor, but became successful after starting a show which starred performers with physical abnormalities, who were otherwise ostracized in society. We briefly unpack the loaded meaning of the term "circus freaks." I'm not sure of the extent to which the historical Barnum may have exploited these people, but in the movie, he was fairly kind--until his show started bringing in a wealthier audience. That leads us to the scene right before this song, when he shut the door on these people, not letting them come to a champagne reception for Jenny Lind, the famous opera singer he brought over from Europe. He harshly told them that no one would come see them perform unless they remained hidden from sight until the show.

That's when Keala Settle, who plays a bearded lady, blows everyone away with this song, which was written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.


To give students a listening focus, there are a few things I've done. In my advanced classes, we had a lesson topic on identity, and so I had these classes listen for statements of identity--"I am...We are..," etc. For some classes, I assigned pairs--one person listen for nouns and adjectives (such as "glorious," or "warriors"), the other for phrases with verbs ("I make no apologies,") related to the idea of identity. There are also some strong lyrics with present continuous--"I'm marching on to the beat I drum," "We are bursting through the barricades and reaching for the sun," and some future time clauses with when ("When the sharpest words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send the floods, gonna drown them out.") Depending on the level or current topic, there are a number of focuses I could choose from. There always has to be some connection to what we're doing in class, as well as something for students to actively listen for. With that in place, I then stand back and let the song work its magic.

One student said that it totally gave her goosebumps. The class that doesn't like to speak was enthusiastically comparing their notes on verbs vs. adjectives and nouns in pairs, sharing lines that caught their attention, and I'm sure, spoke to their hearts. Everyone seemed to love it as much as I and fans around the world do. In fact, maybe going forward, I'll share this fan video, which shows just how much this song speaks to people who often find themselves on the outside.

Sometimes English classes become a refuge for people who don't fit in at school, or have trouble at home, or haven't found their place or felt welcome in their home culture. English gives them access to a global community where they can find that they are not alone. In the end, the nouns and verbs and clauses we work with are only tools to empower students to communicate--to express themselves as they discover who they are and learn to take their place as global citizens. 

I realize that I have a huge role to play in the journeys of young people, and that is simultaneously terrifying and inspiring, motivating me to work hard to create an environment where all kinds of people can feel safe and be heard.

By working to equip students with the language they need, I also invite them to look beyond their current struggles and limitations in order to make meaningful connections around the world. In some recent classes, a bit after playing this song, and while discussing how to develop a personal brand, I introduced students to Harnaam Kaur, a lady with a beard, and a body-positive, anti-bullying activist and model. I could see the excitement in some students' eyes, as the found a kindred spirit or maybe even a new role model.

Having access to English opens up a vast array of global connections. As I lead the effort in starting a TED-Ed Club at our school, I look forward to connecting our young people with other passionate youth around the world, helping them develop their own voice, and providing a global platform for them to be heard. Since my own youth, and until this day, I've always been someone who marches to a different beat, often a misfit, never sure of having anything of value to say. But when I am able to connect with other misfits, feel safe to fully be myself, and exchange and build upon other wild ideas, I find my place to shine. By equipping young people with English as a global language, expanding their world one song or idea at a time, and nudging them in worthwhile directions, I hope to make a substantial impact on the next generation. Look out, 'cuz here we come!







Comments

JoeH said…
What s tremendous story! What a great song! I’d not heard of this musical. Until I read the rest of the story I wondered why you’d have what I wrongly presumed to be a drawing of a cross dresser at the beginning of your post.
Well done!