Learning Creative Learning Reflections Part 2: The Power of Peers


A huge highlight of last semester was participating in the Learning Creative Learning online course. Offered by the Lifelong Kindergarten Group and the Learning Initiative at MIT Media Lab, this free course introduced me to a wealth of information and an international community of educators and creative thinkers. The course has since run again, and the content, which is available in many languages, is still available online, and is well-worth taking a look at.

This week I'll be giving a talk about some ideas from this course, connecting them to teaching English as a foreign language. Toward the end of last year, I blogged some reflections, commenting on two of the four P's introduced by Mitchel Resnik of MIT Media Lab--Projects and Passion. Now, I'll share a few thoughts about the second two, Peers (this week) and Play (soon to come).

Creating a space where collaboration happens naturally

In the course, I was inspired by descriptions of various maker spaces, and how peer collaboration is either enhanced or hindered by the setup of the space. When working with computers, for example, keeping students closed in with rows fixates them on their own work, preventing them from sharing with others. What's important is to provide ease of mobility--chairs with wheels are perfect--for students to readjust their position to interact with others. This creates a flexibility that allows teams to adjust to the needs of the project, as well as to the interest of the participants. I also loved the idea of a central table being like a "village green," where the group can sit and collaborate, display their work, or even enjoy a snack together.

Minus the chairs with wheels, I feel my school's maker space pretty much follows this model. The central table serves well as our village green in the TED-Ed Club, which meets in the maker space. It holds any snacks that anyone brings, and it's where we start our meeting, often with a game or other warm-up. Sometimes it's where we gather to share after having dispersed to reflect or work with peers, and it's where the group is practicing small steps in public speaking, slowly working up to their big presentation.




I have always taught in a classroom with a circular setup. My students are used to being told to work with a partner, and are able to quickly turn to the side and complete a task, then turn back to the group to share. The New Englander in me would love to see an equivalent of a village green, or a Boston Common, of any form, in my classroom. Maybe it's my desk, where students feel comfortable to come up and grab a sticky note or borrow a pencil, or get some supplies for a maker challenge. And there have been, and will be American homemade cookies and other shared treats in that same space.

I often try to move around the room, sitting together with the students when I can, to de-centralize my place in front as the teacher, hopefully allowing for a more student-centered feel.

In another maker space, the Computer Clubhouse model described by Mitchel Resnik, a culture is created where kids feel responsible to share newly-acquired skills with others.  How can language teachers foster this kind of culture in the classroom? I think the communicative method, which I teach, encourages this. Yet we still have barriers to break through, such as a competitive climate and a general fear among teenagers to take risks and share their ideas.
 
Seymour Papert, a mathematician, computer scientist, and pioneer in education, compared successful peer collaborative learning environments to Brazilian samba schools. These are not actually "schools," but more of a social club or a community center. People of various ages and levels of experience are mixed together, and learn from each other, creating dances for Carnival that are meaningful to the group and unique to the community. MIT's Scratch programming language and online community makes it easy for students all over the world, of various ages and abilities, to share their work, get inspiration and feedback from others, and work together on a common project.

I often let students choose someone they feel comfortable working with, making adjustments as necessary. Other times I randomly pair them with someone else to mix it up. Maybe I should make a greater effort to pair students up according to abilities. Sometimes a student is very shy to speak, but has excellent grammar and vocabulary. That person might work well with a more talkative student with strong communication skills, who needs more work with structure. In Scratch collaboration, a student who has good programming skills may work together with a student who draws well. To foster creative learning, students need to work on projects they are passionate about. I want to make this more of a reality in the English language classroom, perhaps eventually teaching writing or grammar with Scratch or other forms of programming or projects in which students can work together on things that excite them. 

Teacher as catalyst, consultant, connector, and collaborator

As a teacher, I have to ignite the spark that gets things going. Sometimes it's by simply introducing a maker movement activity, or new target language. Other times it's by asking questions to prompt some deeper thinking or showing students what they can actually do with the language they are learning. When I was an art teacher, I often showed a model of something, but had to be careful not to show only one type that would make students think there is only one way of doing things. With the internet and the world at our fingertips, there are endless opportunities to inspire students to embrace and use the target language in meaningful ways.

Sometimes my role is more of a consultant. When I introduce a mini STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) challenge, especially with younger learners, I may have to ask guiding questions to help them figure out why something didn't work the way they wanted it to. I am by no means an expert in STEM. And it's a relief that I don't have to be. My background in art comes in handy when there's an element of design involved (that's why I like to add the A for Arts, making it STEAM!) But I've learned, to my relief, that the teacher doesn't have to be the expert. Perhaps the main consulting we do is to provide emotional support in a challenge, and then to connect it to the language.

When teachers pair students up, as mentioned above, in a way they are playing the role of a matchmaker, connecting students who have mutual interests, or skills that complement each other. In leading a TED-Ed Club, I hope to be able to help students connect with other TED-Ed students in different parts of the world. Students with similar ideas can brainstorm together. Students who have already given a talk can encourage the others. Maybe they can even collaborate on a project together.  A global community with access to the internet makes that all the more possible.

And other times, it's not just the students' projects that we work with, but as a teacher, I can invite them to collaborate with me on things I'm working on. Next week I'll share a project my school is doing for World Press Freedom Day on May 3rd. In the early stages of the project, after discussing the subject a bit in one of my classes, I asked students for ideas of something we could make to call attention to the issue. One student's idea in that brainstorm ended up becoming reality, and the class, though they didn't actually build it, got to assemble it and paint it, and, hopefully, they felt a kind of ownership over the project.

I know I'm a better person and a stronger professional as a result of collaborating with peers, near and far. I'm grateful for the different communities I've been a part of. How has collaboration aided learning and creativity for you? Do you use any technology to assist in collaboration, or do you prefer old-fashioned face-to-face sharing? What kind of challenges have you had to overcome in making the power of peers come to play in your world? Share your thoughts here, and check in again on Monday for a #MakerMonday post!




Comments