Maker Monday: The Writing on the Wall


Why is it so attractive to write and draw on forbidden surfaces such as walls? What if we could turn a wall into a space for brainstorming and creative expression? There are multiple hacks to do that, but I'll share one I've learned recently that is cheap and incredibly easy.

It was an innovative colleague who brought this idea to our school, picking up multiple rolls of plastic to make it possible. It's a plastic that's used to cover tables, sold by the meter, and it clings to a surface, creating a smooth sheen that's great for writing and easy to clean.

We simply rolled it onto the wall, let static cling help it adhere, and then added some thick, clear tape to keep it in place. It then works as a white board--students can write on it with dry-erase markers, or liquid chalk. It can be easily erased in the moment; after some time it just takes a little cleaning alcohol.

This teacher and I both encourage students to write down new words they learn, often incidental ones that were not necessarily part of the vocabulary in the book. This includes words they learned from classmates or from searching or asking for something they didn't know how to say, as well as collocations and expressions. Sometimes at the end of class, I'll have everyone take a dry-erase marker and write down something they learned that they feel is important to remember.


I did something similar when I was in Italy, plastering the bunk bed and mirror with doodles on paper illustrating Italian words I had recently learned. Keeping them in my vision kept them in my memory. 

The first time I used the wall in class, I encouraged the students to draw a little image to help them remember the meaning of the word, but the classes I've been using this in are extra shy, and so they weren't up to the risky business of leaving a drawing--even a stick figure--for their classmates to see. That's where my illustration background comes in handy. Now, after they leave, I'll add a little doodle to as many of the words as I can--something that will help them remember the idea. I prefer this over leaving a Portuguese translation--it keeps them thinking in English. If I'm stuck for what to draw, I go to Google Images to get ideas. If time allows, I might ask the students themselves for ideas on how to represent a word or phrase. The following class, when students come back, curious delight draws their gaze to the wall as they see their their words illustrated, as well as new ones from other classes.




We also used this idea in the school's maker space, which is where the TED-Ed Club meets. For this wall, I made cartoony speech and thought bubbles out of poster board (using a massive permanent marker that I inherited from my grandfather), and taped them to the wall, under the plastic. The wall in this space is painted a steel gray, and, therefore, needed some contrast for ideas to be seen. That's why liquid chalk works a lot better than dry erase markers here.

This has proved an excellent way for students to brainstorm the ideas that they will explore, develop, and learn how to present in this club. I liked seeing students write something, and then another one read it later and respond positively. It's a way to get the quiet ones to share their thoughts, and to give and get feedback. We also have an artistically-inclined student who hasn't been able to participate fully, but who was encouraged by a participating friend to drop by, even toward the end of the meeting. She's been adding some word art to our wall, showing the beauty of collaboration.

Not everyone has to draw or code well. Some folks are more accomplished writers; others are more adept at giving a sales pitch. Some students have a better vocabulary and can share what they know with others. It's a powerful thing to give people an opportunity to use their skills in collaboration with others, in a way that bolsters the community. This is the heart and soul of the maker movement.




This use of writing on walls is still new to me (especially as school walls are often taken up by other things, or, sometimes, purposefully left completely empty). I'm still in the process of discovering the potential of this tool. How would you use this simple superpower? What would you like to see people put on walls? How can we better collaborate, even while using simple tools?



Meanwhile, the students of the TED-Ed Club are exploring powerful ideas, and as I see their passions and questions fill up the wall, I tremble with hope.

Comments