Listen and Learn (and Maybe Paint, Too!)


My first meaningful overseas experience was a summer spent in Italy studying Italian language and culture, art history, and studio art through the University of Georgia. I stayed mostly in Cortona, an ancient hilltop town in Tuscany, made famous by the book and movie Under the Tuscan Sun. Studying art history there was extra-fascinating, because we had field trips to see the works we studied. That summer I made my first breakthrough in learning a foreign language--not only did we speak Italian in class (unlike my experience with high school Spanish), but we also had field trips to a wine tasting, to learn how to make gelato, and a cooking class, all in Italian. When I left classes, the material stayed with me because I had to use it. Besides delving into art history and Italian language and culture, the studio art class I took was the first opportunity I had to work extensively with watercolor--to learn about how the medium works, and then be set loose in the ancient streets of Cortona to paint.



Those late mornings were my favorite.  Grateful that I wasn't anchored to a dark studio carving marble or oil painting on huge canvases like my other classmates, I was free to wander. I would tote my watercolors around town looking for a quiet, well lit place to paint among layers of history interspersed with olive trees, grape vines, and very real modern citizens going about their business. The community of Cortona is used to the UGA art students who study and create there, and so no one bothered me or thought it odd that I was sitting in the corner of a stone street sketching. As I sketched out a composition or started the first wash of watercolor, I also started listening. People speaking loudly in nearby houses or gardens often, unknowingly, provided me with Italian lessons.

My Italian teacher had us carry around a small notebook to write down new words that we heard--whether or not we knew their meaning--just to observe. That little book stayed right near my watercolor palette. I don't remember much of what I wrote, but the most important thing that happened there was training my ears to the rhythm of the Italian language, picking up vocabulary here and there, but, more than anything else, listening, observing, absorbing. I'm one of those people who listens better while doing something with my hands, and so that's why I've been seen with crochet in lecture classes, elaborate doodles during meetings, or even henna during informal church gatherings.

During my second trip to Italy, this time being more of a spiritual journey, mostly in the North, my understanding of the language deepened, as did my independence and knowledge of myself. During mealtimes, I made efforts to sit near the Italians and not the English-speaking group of students. Even though I was often too shy to say much and had very limited vocabulary to join the conversation, I took the opportunity to listen. When there was a translator, I listened harder to the Italian being spoken, letting the translation that followed fill in any gaps in my vocabulary, and then I would write down new words and expressions. This constant listening continued during afternoons of chores--sweeping the kitchen floor slowly so as to pick up nearby conversations. I often knew about plans before the other students did, only because I heard them in Italian first.




 




After this second Italian experience, deeper and more extensive than the first, I found myself in the North End, the old Italian neighborhood in Boston, drifting through the streets looking for opportunities to practice the language. If you listen carefully, somewhere behind the throng of tourists, you can sometimes hear some older locals speaking Italian. Shyness often, but not always, kept me from striking up a conversation. I eventually found an official conversation group that was a mix of Italian Americans or students of all levels just meeting to drink wine or espresso and practice the language. That was particularly helpful and enjoyable, but I never managed to find the same opportunities to just listen and observe, outside of the music on my playlists.

It was during those years in Boston that I started learning Portuguese, finding the Brazilian community there to be a little friendlier and easier to get to know. I spent a lot of time in Brazilian churches, again, just listening, taking things in, noticing patterns in the language, picking up vocabulary bit by bit. I would listen to Brazilian students chatting after English classes; many never knew their teacher could understand them! Between these experiences, and the podcasts and audio lessons that became part of my commutes, I was able to tune my ear to the language. And as I did that, my heart also became attached to it. I had similar experiences when I went to Jordan and dabbled with Arabic for several months before and after, and although I didn't get as deep with it as with the Latin languages, there is still a heart connection that came from listening intently.

What's funny is that I feel I don't do as much active listening now that I'm living abroad. I certainly do listen, and I'm constantly learning new vocabulary; in fact, I noticed quite a lot of progress after my first year here. But this time I don't write it down in a fun notebook. Maybe I should. Maybe I've just reached a plateau and gotten lazy. Maybe the familiarization of using the language every day has taken away the glamour--not entirely, but significantly. I still listen to podcasts on my commutes, but this time they are in English, as are most of my music selections.

What I wonder is, in a world saturated with digital media, where global connections are a click away, do we actually do more tuning out or tuning in? I carry a phone with a notepad app that I could be using to write down new words--and this time, auto-correct in Portuguese could actually help me spell it right, and finding a clear definition would be easy, too. But I don't make much use of it for that purpose. Those quiet, yet content-rich mornings in Cortona feel so far away now. Perhaps it's the busyness of living abroad versus studying abroad, but I think it also has to do with the greater complexities of life in the digital age. Like most humans with a phone, if I'm bored, I'll pull it out and find something to help pass the time. Back in Cortona, or even during many years living in Boston, I didn't have that option, and so I found myself observing more things around me with contemplative contentment in the quiet moments.

I'm certainly not against technology--it can and does allow wonderful things to happen in life and in learning, and that excites me. But as I connect more to faraway places on my precious device, I find that I am missing out on some priceless cultural observations right here. I'm also not giving myself the gift of pondering the mysterious way light falls on an old building, or the cool colors in the shadows on a dirt road, or the stories told by an interesting texture in some age-old stones. Maybe this gringa needs to tote around some watercolors and sketch paper more often and allow for some surprising moments of learning and discovery to happen on their own--both in Saint Joseph of the Fields and in my hometown.
 
When are you most tuned in to the magic of what's around you? What would you like to connect with more? What kind of "Cortona moments" have you had, and how can experiences like that--far or near to home--be enjoyed to the fullest?




Comments