The Penguins in My Head


I taught myself cartooning by copying my favorite characters when I was a kid. Later, after learning some drawing skills, I started making up my own characters. The ones with the strongest personalities always happened to be penguins. This was before Happy Feet and the The Penguins of Madagascar; before endless penguin gifts from friends and penguins in pop culture eventually made me tire of them.

Expressing myself through cartoons, and later, through improv comedy, were important outlets for me as a shy student. Sometimes the silliness that came out freely in an improv game surprised my peers, who had always thought of me as quiet. The explanation I gave for my sudden surge of goofy theatrical presence was that I had penguins in my head.

In high school, I wrote this poem. If I were to write something similar now, I would re-think the comparisons to and language used about mental illness. But this is a relic of a different time in my development, and so I'll share it as it was written, changing only a pronoun or two. I'll even leave a spelling/vocabulary mistake, together with an imperfect rhyme-see if you can find it!

How would you describe creativity or rushes of inspiration? The maker movement has convinced me that anyone can develop creative thinking skills. And yet, to some people, thinking outside-the-box just comes more naturally. What metaphor would you use to describe it?

My Happy Insanity


Insanity, Insanity
The penguins in my head
Ride shopping carts down Christmas trees
Buy olives stuffed with lead

Insanity's the mark of me-
An artist who's disturbed
If you could understand my mind,
You wouldn't be perturbed

I think of things unusual;
I see things that are weird-
Like antelopes with telescopes
In Uncle Norman's beard

At night I dance with haystacks-
The kind that cannot see
They wish on jars and smoke guitars-
Delightful company!

Looking out the window,
I see trees dance in the wind
I start to laugh hysterically
And watch brown branches bend

Insanity, Insanity
Why do people stare at me?
I'm just as normal as can be-
An artist who has been set free

I don't do drugs, I'm not deceived,
demented, or delusioned
My penguins and insanity
Are simply art allusions

They're symbols of creativity
Inside an artist's head
That give me inspiration when
I'm lying in my bed

My penguins give me color schemes
Or words to make a rhyme
They sneak into my thoughts and dreams
At any given time

So let the purple penguins jump
Let slippers stand and sing
Let imagination run insane-
A dull world's seasoning

There's nothing wrong with being strange
If that's the way you're made
Embrace your creativity
And never let it fade

Comments