Looking for Growth


Last year, the binational center where I teach took part in the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence campaign, which started on November 25th, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, and went until December 10th, Human Rights Day. This was one of three events that the U.S. Embassy encouraged us to take part in this year.

Last year I had students discuss some issues related to equality in education and the need to eliminate gender-based violence in school. They wrote their ideas on feathers that became a large set of wings for people to take pictures in front of. This project brought its own joys and challenges, and I had blogged some reflections about the unfinished work that lies before us in regards to equality and the elimination of gender-based violence. As December rolled around this year, bringing with it the exhaustion of the end of the semester, I was starting to wonder if I could get something meaningful going, if having students write on pieces of paper yet again would make enough of an impact, or if it might symbolize that society hasn't progressed much at all this year in regards to its treatment of females.

I've recently discovered #Craftivism, a movement where activists and average folks mindfully reflect on important issues, and, with empathy, take part in acts of gentle protest by making something beautiful to grab people's attention. Sarah Corbett's book How to be a Craftivist - The Art of Gentle Protest ignited a passion in me that I am eager to weave together into action through the maker movement and other social campaigns. (Check out her TED Talk!) Inspired by this movement, I organized an origami and crochet workshop, excited to get people--introverts, mainly--together to reflect on important issues while learning new skills. I was hoping to introduce the campaign and get a bunch of flowers made that could be added to a tree, symbolizing growth and change that happens slowly. We definitely had some introverts join--me and the two teachers who were going to show how to craft! That's all. It was disappointing to have no outside participants, but I learned to crochet a rose, and I almost learned to make an origami flower (being stopped only by an odd combination of anxiety and laziness). Crafting, one stitch or fold at a time, is a powerful metaphor for change. Even when we get stuck and have to stop and unravel something, like un unjust system, important things are happening.

In the weeks that followed, Alice the Headbanger Teacher and I (mostly her) stitched out a whole bunch of roses, and the origami master, Mariana, filled my cubby box with an explosion of folded paper flowers. This wasn't a rushed production, but a relaxing way for each of us to unwind and reflect in our own way. And so, with enough flowers to make a tree in each school, I invited teachers to introduce the campaign through a discussion of the movie Hidden Figures or a quick video introduction to the campaign, and get students to add their thoughts to branches that would grow into a tree. This year, for multiple reasons, there was not as much participation (making me realize that it would be much more effective to introduce the campaign earlier in the semester). I was worried that we wouldn't have enough branches to make a tree, especially one in each school. But little by little, thanks to some super-teachers, a few conversation classes, and the TED-Ed Club, our tree grew.

In one conversation class that I was subbing for, involving students with whom I hadn't had the chance to build rapport, I went in not knowing how well the campaign would be accepted. I soon realized that some of these students and I had vastly different points of view on some issues. And yet, through simple discussion, empathy, and a consideration of objects that represent freedoms, people from all perspectives were challenged with critical thinking to reflect on issues they hadn't considered. In another conversation class, our discussion led us to reflect on the nature of change, and how it isn't always a smooth chain reaction. There are often setbacks and frustrations, and we have to learn to persist through them.

Although the theme of this year's official campaign was "ending gender-based violence in the world of work," I decided to interpret it for our context, mostly school-age students, as "cultivating a culture of dignity and respect," something that has to happen in society as the next generation matures and prepares to enter the workforce. We discussed the idea of cultivation and growth, and how change comes with gentle care and patience, over time. We got perspective from historical movements, and stopped to consider the role privilege plays in our own individual experiences.

I was happy that we managed to get a tree set up in each school. One tree, though I hoped it would be a stately sakura, grew to the size of a moderate, yet graceful bonsai.




The other was a tall, long-limbed rosebush, punctuated with color and potent student words.





Maybe next year we will approach this campaign differently. Other binational centers talked about offering self-defense classes or human libraries with female entrepreneurs. In fact, there are many impactful actions that we can take part in throughout the year. Gender-based violence and the inequality and discrimination that lie at its root will not be taken out in one campaign, unfortunately. But with compassion, humility, and plenty of critical thinking as we look beyond our limited landscapes to the global community, we can see growth, in society as a whole, and in our individual hearts as well.


I'll be taking a break from this blog while I travel for the holidays, but meanwhile, you can follow me on Instagram @danitissima, where I've posted many powerful pieces of this project, highlighting some students' words. Do share your thoughts, and let's grow together!

Comments