Maker Monday: Making an Impact Locally, and Playfully

Usually in my Maker Monday posts, I share some hands-on activities I've tried, or some ideas behind the maker movement, and I connect them to English language teaching. This week, I'll share a passion of mine, which also builds essential skills of creativity, problem-solving, collaboration, communication, resilience, (and English language!): games.

Games are not merely fun, and, for me, they are never used as a time-killer in class. Games are motivating, require collaboration (at least the ones I play), and engage students differently, allowing them to shine in ways that might not be seen otherwise. They also enhance learning. According to the late Dr. Karyn Purvis, research has shown that it takes over 400 repetitions to create one new synapse in the brain, unless learning is done with play, in which case, it takes between 10 and 20 repetitions. Play and making are both intertwined with learning, and that excites me! I've recently written about gamifying grammar, and last year I blogged about some party games from the U.S. that develop empathy, inspire creativity and innovation, as well as ones that give groups a burst of energy.


This Saturday, I will be sharing some more best practices involving games at BrELT's Hand in Hand event in São Paulo. Let me just take a moment to talk about this wonderful event and express how honored I am to have been invited to contribute to it. BrELT is a global ELT community made by Brazilians, and after a few lonely years after moving to Brazil, and near burnout as a teacher, I found my place among this diverse group of caring professionals. 100% of the proceeds from this event go to help Casa 1, which is a shelter for LGBTQIA+ youth who have been kicked out of their homes because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Among the many projects Casa 1 does to help various needy groups in the local community is English to Trans-form, which offers free English classes to marginalized and underprivileged.

Saturday's event is all about inclusion and standing by our neighbors. The games and game-hacks I plan to share there are all about teamwork and collaborative play. Games don't necessarily need a winner--sometimes a group consensus or a problem solved is a win! I'll share the abstract for my talk:


We’ve all used games in the classroom, but how can we make sure that the ones we play bring out the best in our students--both in terms of language and soft skills? This will be a practical sharing of best practices, including tweaks on familiar games in order to maximize collaboration and avoid singling students out. We will also consider what purposeful gaming might look like in different lesson stages, and even a take a look at DIY games with a bit of a maker touch! 

What games have you found to be great for learning and inclusion? Have you ever tweaked a game to make it fit your context, or invented your own game? I'm sure this is not the last game post I'll be writing! Let's stand together, hand in hand, and, with play, make a difference where it's needed.

Comments